Nigeria was first introduced to the activities of the World Organisation for Childhood Education, OMEP in 1968, when Mrs. Ibiyemi Bright, attended a UNESCO- sponsored course in Denmark on the training of Pre-school and Infant School n Teachers. During this course, participants especially from Africa were advised to seek membership into OMEP so that their National Committees could take advantage of new developments in the area of Pre-School education through the OMEP programme of activities.
ACTIVITIES OF OMEP NIGERIA- ADVOCACY FOR THE NIGERIAN CHILD
- Promote study and research related to Early Childhood Education and Care (ECEC)
- Organize international Regional, National Conferences and Symposia on ECEC international best practices, child protect, safety, pedagogy etc.
- Disseminate information about ECEC/policies through publication of the Journals and online resources.
- Encourage the training of practitioners, stakeholders and personnel in ECEC
- Encourage family education in connection with ECEC.
- Encourage youths and students in the Universities to associate with OMEP Nigeria in order to increase membership and exchange of ideas.
OMEP NIGERIA NATIONAL PRESIDENTS
It is on record that 7 National Executive Committees had piloted the ship of OMEP in Nigeria from 1980 to date under the leadership of the following renowned dedicated, committed women.
- 1981-1986 Prof Grace Alele Williams,
- 1987-1993 Late Mrs Ibiyemi Bright
- 1994-1999 Mrs. Victoria ‘Bimpe Bilewu
- 2000-2003 Late Chief (Mrs) Juliana Ajayi-Olufolaji
- 2003-2009 Chief (Mrs) Abimbola Are
- 2010-2016 Lady Pat Okeke
- 2017-Date Mrs. Tokunbo Doherty
OMEP Nigeria members have published books in various subject areas:
Christy Ade-Ajayi- Story books for pre-school children
Cynthia Falode- Nursery Rhymes
Elizabeth Fadahunsi – Creative Activities
Gbemi Rosiji – Teaching Traditional Number concept
Juliet Macaulay et al- English Grammar
Olabisi Solaru– Books on Literacy, Numbers, Reading and Creative Activities
Olomofe E. O. – French ‘Francais Quotidien
Omodele Karunmi – Collection of Yoruba traditional rhymes ‘Kulumbu Yeye’
Oto Lijadu- Alpha-Bits -Creativity
Peter Onaivi– Magic Pot and other Rhymes
OMEP Nigeria National Secretary